Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Loes Modderman - The Art of Science


About a decade ago or so I got the idea that I’d really fancy myself being an artist.  Back then though, I felt like I needed some affirmation first.  I wanted to know for certain that it really is my destiny to be an artist indeed.  So I figured an online aptitude test might be exactly what the doctor ordered…

Eventually I came across a site which would give me the immediate answer once the test was taken – free of charge.  So whilst answering each and every question as authentically, truthfully and honestly as I possibly could (otherwise what would be the point?), in the back of my mind I also eagerly anticipated, “Ooh, this is gonna be sooo ARTIST!”  Finally the test was done and the result due and it read – ‘Scientist’.

Scientist?  Are you kidding me?”  Feeling utterly void and completely depersonalized it dawned upon me that I had taken the totally wrong high school subjects for this.  Besides, I never seemed that interested in science anyway.  Then again I also didn’t take art in high school…  “Yeah, but science, really?  Ain’t that suppose to be like the total opposite of art?  You know, like North and South?”  Then a thought whispered, “Both are poles”.

You mean there could actually be similarities between the two?  Hey, could somebody possibly be maybe like an ‘artistic’ scientist?  Or a scientific artist?  Is there ever such a thing like Science Art?

Next thing I googled “science art” and that was how I came across the fascinating site of photomicrographer Loes Modderman.  Basically these are microscopic images of crystals, liquids, sand, etc… needles to say unseen to the human eye.  So next time somebody utters that it’s total rubbish that certain stones and crystals hold and exude certain energies, just think about it then – with mesmerising images like these going on galaxies deep inside them, how could they not?












3 comments:

  1. Hello Drihana, by accident I stumbled upon your blog and found myself. Thank you for the honor of showing my work to your readers. Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures on my site, the real ones are a lot better.
    Yes, there is such a thing as science-art, and many people are involved in it. Here in Holland there has been a big exhibition about it some years ago 'Schoonheid in de Wetenschap' or 'beauty in Science' Scientists often take pictures of absolutely stunning beauty, and some appreciate that, while others have no eye for it, regrettably.
    But what I wanted to say: you seem to be under the impression that these structures are hidden in minerals and gems. They are not (althought these objects are also often fantastic under the microscope) My pictures are made from solutions of certain minerals, solved in water or alcohol, and then crystallized by heat, or just by giving the fluid time to crystallize. It's a very simple proces, really. All these pictures are made from a surface area of 2 square mm at most. Which makes it even more amazing. The colors are not artifically added, but spring to life when viewed through a microscope with polarization filters, so the colors are optical and not photoshopped. My email is info at scienceart dot nl All the best! Loes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Loes, wow what an honor that you even bothered to comment on my blog post. Almost two years after posting, you can only imagine the unexpected surprise to be actually hearing from you... most bloggers can only dream of their hero's commenting.
    I first stumbled upon your site back in 2007. 11 years later I'm hoping to be also 11 years wiser. I do believe you now that there is indeed such a thing as science-art, how could I not? I also humbly apologize for my error in not understanding completely the exact scientific process of how these mesmerizing pictures were formed. Thanks for bothering to correct me there.
    Not that I'm trying to excuse myself here, but it once again occurred to me how much science and art are indeed connected. In the art world, more particularly concerning those who observe art, there seem to be three basic categories which stand out to me, being 1) those who fail to understand the process/meaning behind an artwork and therefor cannot be bothered to admire the piece; 2) those who fail to understand the process/meaning behind an artwork, but still find themselves mysteriously drawn to the work (whether they understand it or not) and 3) those who do understand the process/meaning behind an artwork and therefor have the utmost respect and admiration for the work. Needless to say that when I first stumbled upon your work, I fell into the second category, but now thanks to your much appreciated comment, my eyes opened even more and therefor I have even more respect and admiration for the work you do and share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Drihana, I'm always late...but I only now saw your comment on my comment. You give me too much credit. The pictures are beautiful, that's true, but it's nature that makes tem what they are. The only thing I do/did is following the proces and photograph the best part of what I see/saw, for I stopped doing this a long time ago. There are very few people who know what they are, I even gave workshops for chemistry teachers who never heard of it. Try it yourself, it's really easy, you only need a microscope with polarisation filters. I wish you all the best and keep your sense of wonder!

    ReplyDelete